Wednesday, July 11, 2012

so it's called feminism and it actually matters

This was one of the most awesome, inspiring days ever. I'm seeping with the inspiration that I soaked up today. Okay. I'll take a moment to calm down.

OMIGOSHTODAYWASTHEMOSTINCREDIBLEFANTASTICDAYEVERTHAT'SWHYI'MTALKINGLIKEAMAINSTREAMGIRLWHOJUSTFOUNDAJUSTINBIEBERSHIRTANDFORYOURINFORMATIONIAMNOTAJUSTINBIEBERFANORAMAINSTREAMGIRLBUTAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Okay. Now that that's out of my system I can actually explain about why today was so amazing. I'm part of an organization called SPARK-no, I'm not yelling at you, the letters stand for Sexualization Protest: Action, Resistance, Knowledge. We wanted Teen Vogue to change they way they altered girls' images in their magazine (you can see Emma & Carina, the girls who started the petition and are also a part of SPARK, here), so we staged a mock fashion show outside of their building in Times Square, holding up signs on whiteboards. Then, afterwards, a group-more of a herd, really-of photographers took pictures and interviewed us. The entire experience was just so incredibly exciting and inspiring (this is the tenth time I've said that, isn't it?). So many people got to see how strongly we felt about how magazines alter the images of their girls. I really hope that Teen Vogue decides to change their ways; it would open up so many possibilities in other fashion magazines wanting to follow in their footsteps.

PRESS: 
The Huffington Post
The Miami Herald

There are so many more articles, too many to put up here without falling asleep, so just Google "teen vogue protest". I hope they agree to change!

                                                                           -Britney

No comments:

Post a Comment